Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Are We Better Than Our Mission?

Let me preface this by saying I attended private/ Christian school first through tenth grade. I attended public school in kindergarten, eleventh and twelfth grades.

Read on..........

Hope has been attending a youth group at another church in town. Her first meeting was in mid-September. She has not gone the last couple weeks due to weekend family events. On Sunday I asked her if she was planning on going she said "no, I don't really like it". When I asked her why, she stated "the kids there are all home school kids and they make fun of us who attend public school". I must say this disappoints me. I trust Hope's judgment. I believe her and it got me to thinking.
This question needs to be brought to the table: Are the people of the Church (Body of Christ) better than the people of mission field we are trying to reach? If so, then how can we effectively reach them? If so, why would we want to?
Our family has been extremely involved in the public schools of our community. It is an opportunity to meet and minister to students, staff and their families. People who are influencing the next generation of decision makers in our community. I feel our involvement has made it a better place. In my opinion, families who send their children to private schools or are home schooling are running from the battle. As Christians we are called to be light and salt. When light is present is chases the darkness. We have heard many a sermon about salt being a preservative. Sadly, the condition of some of our public schools are a result of the light running from the darkness. We have let our guard down or left public schools altogether. I think my children are more well adjusted partly due to our influence in their schools and helping to make decisions that effect not just them, but all students in their school.
Sadly, this group of "make funners" are runners and sheltered. How did they reach this opinion of public schools. We have seen home-schooled students who are socially deficient instead of being given the opportunity to be salt and light. Beginning adulthood steps behind their peers.

I guess I refuse to have my family and children live in fear. Fear becomes the focus and anything that becomes our focus other than God, is our god.

Weather today: WINDY!!!!! 75 degrees (did I mention it's windy???)! The leaves are starting to turn and fall.

-Norm

1 comment:

squire said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog and posting a comment. I know you will enjoy your Reflex for years to come.

The blog of Norm (and family). loving God, loving my family, loving people, living my life so that God smiles. making a great cup of coffee. enjoying time with my family. being the Church.