Sunday, October 07, 2007

Why Are You Moving?

I have been needing to post this for quite some time.

One of the most difficult things a person could do is to leave the security of their hometown. I had lived in Red Bluff, California my whole life. It represented a place of security. It was the place I met my wife. The place where we were married and where we have been raising our daughters. We purchased a house and made it a home. We had been involved in the girl's schools and ministry. I had a great job that I really enjoyed.

So why move?

We had been talking about moving since the summer of 2006. The question was "where would we like to live, if we didn't live here"? Last summer we flew to Tennessee, first flying into Memphis, heading to Nashville and ending the trek in Knoxville. On the way back to Memphis, our family discussed which city we liked best. We all agreed on Knoxville and began researching the city. We looked at real estate, into employment opportunities and the possibilities of starting a business. All areas looked very promising.
We placed our home up for sale, but with the slow real estate market-no one was coming to see it.
In May, while on my way home from the races at the Shasta District Fair, I sensed God said to me "get out of here". I was not praying or doing anything "spiritual" just riding my scooter. When I arrived home, I told Tina about this message. We discussed putting our home on the auction block. This can be a very nervous thing and it was for us as well.
One Saturday before the auction I was out pulling weeds in a planter at our church. Again I feel I heard God's voice "Do not worry. I am going before you and preparing the way". That sure felt good, but was this really God speaking or is it just me? Again, I shared this message with Tina.
The day of the auction came and our family took a trip to the mountains during the actual auction. This was a nervous time. Our house was selling with no minimum! A few hours later we arrived back to the house to find we had done well. God was making a way! However, the actual money changing hands seemed to take FOREVER. When we moved out, we moved in with our pastors. I stayed there until I left for Tennessee. Tina and the girls stayed there awhile longer. Being in their home was such a blessing.
I gave my two weeks notice to the Opportunity Center. I wished it could have been a month notice because that is what was needed. The next week Hope got a very serious eye infection that required us to stay for at least three more weeks. My last day of work at the Opportunity Center was August 31. I left for Tennessee the following Thursday with no job or house to go to. Heading for a job interview with the promise that God was going before us and not to worry. I guess you can call it a "Peter Experience" (Matthew 14) but I can not afford to look down. To this point everything seems to have fallen into place. The only major challenges have been camping, missing my family and them bringing Mitchell across the United States.
I got the job I drove across the United States to interview for. We should be signing papers to purchase a house this Thursday. Until then I am staying at the home of our realtor. I guess you could call it house sitting until the family arrives.
God has been true to His word. It remains to be seen how He will use us here, but I do believe this is the place and this is the time. We are blessed.

-Norm

No comments:

The blog of Norm (and family). loving God, loving my family, loving people, living my life so that God smiles. making a great cup of coffee. enjoying time with my family. being the Church.