Saturday, October 27, 2007

We're Finally Connected

Well after much research we have finally settled on a company to provide our phone service. We were looking for the very best deal and have settled on ComCast. We now have phone and high speed internet, finally connected to the rest of the world. Until yesterday we were accessing a wireless signal from somewhere around us. We were able to access the internet and check emails, but could only do so by sitting in our living room. We now have our own access and have connected our wireless router. It is great to sit anywhere in our home and surf the net.
I am doing pretty well at finding my way around Knoxville. It helps to have to drive around as part of my job. I must do weekly checks on 8 residential care homes. Sertoma does alot of training. I am still working to complete my online stuff it is hard to find time to do this. On Monday and Tuesday I will be attending a Medication Certification training. I cannot dispense meds until I have passed this training. It's a BIG deal! I will be glad to get this one completed.
Earlier this week our stuff arrived from California. It was a very stressful day. I called the truck driver on Monday evening to find out how close he was. He said he was just crossing into Missouri. We discussed our street and his getting his truck up to our home. He said if he was unable to it would cost us an extra $250.00 for him to rent a moving van and also pay for someone to help him. We left this conversation there and I asked him to call us when he got closer. Tina and I decided to rent our own U-Haul on Tuesday morning. I again called the driver to let him know about the U-Haul he said he would be here about 1:00 Pm. He arrived at about 4:30 Pm. They loaded the stuff in the U-Haul and we took it to the house to unload it ourselves. Before they unloaded his truck, the driver told me it was still going to be $150.00. I asked him "For what?" He said because they had to unload it again at our house. I was pleased to tell him "we're going to take it from here". He seemed suprised. Needless to say he did not get any extra money from us that day. It feels so good to have everyone and everything here!
The bad news-on Wednesday the Volvo had some major problems. I was on my way back to Sertoma when I heard a pop sound. Shortly after that I looked in the rearview mirror and saw smoke behind my car as I was pulling into the parking lot. It is still sitting at Sertoma. I think it lost all the oil. The smoke was the result of oil dripping on the exhaust pipe. I am waiting to find out what the damage is. I hope it is nothing major, but feel it might just be. Now that the scooter is here, I have to get it registered and new tires. It will then be ready to roll. Fun is on the way!!!

Weather-it is starting to get cool here in Tennessee and Fall is finally in the air.

-Norm

1 comment:

Kiminredbluff said...

Hey Norm, It's good to hear that you are all there together safe and happy. I've never blogged before but Jay forwarded this to me and I signed up. I flew into Nashville last month on my way back from New York. I had a mini tour of the states on that trip: Buffalo to Baltimore to Nashville to san Diego to Sacramento,,,,on the same plane! I love to fly though, it fascinates me. Say hi to Tina and the girls for me. Fall is in full swing here as well. dan and I spent the weekend in Dunsmuir this past weekend and it was absolutely stunning there right now.
See you Norm, Kim in Red Bluff

The blog of Norm (and family). loving God, loving my family, loving people, living my life so that God smiles. making a great cup of coffee. enjoying time with my family. being the Church.