Saturday, July 26, 2008

Mitchell Gets a Pet


We have been looking for quite a while for another dog. Mitchell was so happy when Samson was here, so we've been looking for another pet; a pet for Michell.

I found Annie through Craigslist. She was an american eskimo mix. She was being fostered through a private group that rescues abused animals, rehabilitates them, and then finds them a home. After corresponding with Annie's foster mom, we decided to have a meet and greet at the dog park. There is a great off-leash dog park that is also home to a disc golf course that is just a few miles from us.
It was funny. Once we got to the que area we reluctantly took Mitchell's leash off. I think even he didn't know what to do; he just stood frozen for a moment. Soon he was running and chasing the other dogs including Annie. She obviously has the ear marks of an abused dog; she acts like every meal is her last, she cowers if you raise your hand and prefers you not to pet her head. But she was very sweet. After about an hour of watching the dogs play and asking a bunch of questions, the girls both excitedly told me they wanted her. While there, one of the other dog owners handed out lemonade. Now this was not ordinary lemonade. This was his Great Aunt Fannie Mae from August GA's recipe. He told us there was a secret ingredient and everyone took turns trying to figure it out. He told us he had to take the recipe to his grave and that just fueled the fire of speculation. I think I figured it out but didn't tell; who am I to go against the great Fannie Mae.

Everyone congratulated us as I announced we would take her. Her foster mom was teary eyed (is that a good or bad thing!?). We took her home and she has done great. We have to be careful not to make sudden movements or loud noises, and I don't think Mitchell will ever eat again. But she is doing well and the girls just love her, Mitchell....I think the jury is still out. -Tina

No comments:

The blog of Norm (and family). loving God, loving my family, loving people, living my life so that God smiles. making a great cup of coffee. enjoying time with my family. being the Church.