Sunday, August 03, 2008

Tough Week.

This past week has been a challenging one. One of the expectations of what I do for a living is to be "on call". This involves carrying a pager and cell phone, responding to and dealing with any issues that arise after hours/weekends. This is in addition to working 10 to twelve hour days this week. A new expectation is the "on call" person also works the Saturday they are "on call". I do not like "on call" weeks. I like them even less now that working a Saturday is involved. In theory, if we work a Saturday, we are suppose to get the following Monday off. Not this week. We are being visited by the State for two weeks beginning tomorrow for an Annual Review. I guess these have been very unpleasant experiences in the past. I will hold my opinion until after it is over. Saturday was longer than it should have been. I visited nearly all my houses (9), plus one more. Tina and the girls went to Asheville for the day, while I worked.
This past week we moved of two residents, one to another agency. I have mixed feelings about this. I spent alot of time with this resident giving medications, shopping and scheduling staff for the home. When staff were not available, I worked there myself. The move was a relief and a sad day all at the same time. I received a nice letter from a family member thanking me for all I did to support this individual. I will add this to my portfolio.

The second resident moved to another apartment due to some safety issues. The new apartment is in a quieter and safer part of town. Both required my assistance to move.

I am glad to have this week behind me. I am confident that even being reviewed by the State, this week can only be easier. We shall see. -Norm

No comments:

The blog of Norm (and family). loving God, loving my family, loving people, living my life so that God smiles. making a great cup of coffee. enjoying time with my family. being the Church.