Saturday, July 05, 2008

Happy Independance Day!










We decided to go to Pigeon Forge for the 4th of July. It was hosting its 18th Annual StarJam (whatever that is). It sounded like fun so we traveled all of 30 miles to the birth place of East TN's queen, Dolly Parton. What should of took about a 30 minute drive, didn't. Little did we know this was a big event. And of course, we thought we would be the only ones attending and the park would be super easy to find since we've been there once before.

After creeping in the car for a very long time (and having to ask for directions-I guess the en masse of people didn't tip us off), we found it. It was a stunning sight; about seventy-five thousand people showed up for the event. It looked a little out of place. For anyone whose hasn't been to Pigeon Forge it is like Branson MI. For anyone who hasn't been to Branson, it is like a country-fied Reno but with no gambling. Ok, a better description would be a big, long carnival with more shows. Sorry if anyone loves Pigeon Forge. It is also the gateway to the Smokies. There, I said something nice.

The reason we decided these firework show over the one in World's Fair Park in Knoxville was simple: the bands. The bands we saw were Ace Young (no idea-I don't watch American Idol, but I saw American Idol under his name-I drew my own conclusion), Metro Station, Boys Like Girls and Good Charlotte. If you don't know these bands, ask a teenager. They were great. Anyway-hold on to your mullet-Paris Hilton was there!!!! I asked Hope and Grace if they knew she Paris Hilton was-they didn't know-I have done my job. She, incidentally is dating one of the band members from Good Charlotte. I know this because it was in the Knox Newspaper. Oh, and one of the band members in Metro Station is Mylie Cyrus' brother-that I know from Hope.
After the concerts, we were a little concerned; the clouds looked pretty wet (I am getting to know clouds better now). Come to find out they had to postpone Knoxville's fireworks an hour due to rain. What was really funny was the bands kepy saying "hello Knoxville!" This didn't sit well with the crowd. The fireworks (I understand were the biggest in East TN) were great. They were synched up to the radio station that put on the concerts so you could hear it well. Of course it wouldn't be Tennessee if they wasn't a tribute to the UT Volunteers (They play the UT Volunteers song while orange and white fireworks were displayed-inspiring) and course Dolly wished us a happy fourth and sang the Star Spangled banner (may I remind you she has a statue). All in all it was spectacular.

Afterwards we hung in Pigeon Forge (the carnivel city that never sleeps). This morning we woke up to rain. -Tina

No comments:

The blog of Norm (and family). loving God, loving my family, loving people, living my life so that God smiles. making a great cup of coffee. enjoying time with my family. being the Church.