Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Look at K-Town

Norm invited us downtown to a concert at the visitor's center. It was a bit nostalgic; when we first visited Knoxville, this is where we came. A great blue grass band was playing (yes, I have some love for blue grass) as we mapped out our visit. This time, Dishwater Blonde, a Christian blues/rock band was playing. They host these concerts Monday through Friday at noon in the Visitor's Center and they are always packed; it's called the Blue Plate Special and showcases local bands of different genres. After the concert, I got the notion to check out Old City.

Old City is an area smaller than downtown and has more local stores and is less commericial. It's eclectic; looks a bit like the French Quarter/Ireland towns (I told you it was eclectic). Once we walked from downtown to Old City, I found some great looking stores and restaurants. My first find; Magpie's. I remember Magpie's from an article written about Knoxville by the New York Times. We walked into a storefront with the on-site baking visible, beautiful display cakes not to mention a cold case to drool over. As we were choosing our cupcakes, a customer entered pointing to the mini cupcakes. He told me to watch out for them; they were dangerous. After trying a cupcake sample I understood what he meant; they were fabulous.

Cupcakes in hand, we left the store. I noticed across the street Old City Java. Along with Magpie's, it was voted Best of Knoxville. We ordered some drinks and dived into our cupcakes happily chatting. The coffee house had a great vibe, very art house-y. As Grace, Hope and I were sitting being silly, I noticed Norm (too late, of course), driving by. We finished walking around Old City and headed back downtown.
It was Farmer's Market day, but I could only stare since I decided we would just stay here for the day. We started just walking around and discovered the East Tennessee Historical Society Museum. A sucker for museums, we checked it out. It was fun with a pharmacy/soda fountain and a trolley. We left and discoved little parks and squares and historical houses that were really cute.
Hope was going to participate in a improv acting class held at the main library downtown. While she joined the class, Grace and I checked out the library. After she was done, we left and went to Market Square. Market Square was hosting a Shakespeare in the park and a troup of actors were performing Merchant of Venise. I called Norm to join us. We enjoyed the play but were starving so we went to a great local restaurant; Tomato Head. Obvisously an Italian restaurant but is also know for vegetarian/vegan organic foods. It was great. We all had a great day learning for about our little K-town. When we got home Norm told me HE had gotten some cupcakes from Magpie's. Great minds..... -Tina

No comments:

The blog of Norm (and family). loving God, loving my family, loving people, living my life so that God smiles. making a great cup of coffee. enjoying time with my family. being the Church.