Sunday, January 14, 2007

Our Own Series Of Unfortunate Events

Yesterday I had to work. It was an interesting day. The O.C. is only open on weekdays, but yesterday I had to conduct a CPR training. I hate working on the weekend and so did just about everyone in my two classes. Yes, I did two CPR classes training twenty people all together. I came back into town and headed to the church to play drums for a benefit concert to help Laurel go to the D.R. When I got home I was totally bushed.
This morning started out as usual Sunday morning. I got up took a shower and headed off the the church. After we got done with the music part of worship, Hope came in and said I needed to leave now. When we got in the car Hope said that there was water in the back bathroom. I had driven about 1/4 mile and the car stopped. We pushed the car. I thought it might be out of gas so I ran across the street and bought a gas can and gas. I put gas in the car but still it wouldn't start, all this time I wasn't sure what was happening at home. I ran across the srteet and called Tina to tell her I couldn't get home but was trying. I tried to explain how to turn off the water at the street, but she couldn't get it. I asked her to go to the neighbor's house next door to ask Mark if he would shut it off. Next time I called Grace said mom was coming to pick me up. Tina explained to me what was happening while we were behind the world's slowest drivers. They apparently were not trying to get home to a flooding house. By the time we arrived home the water was off. Poor Grace was handling everything like a trooper. I scanned the house to discover it was a copper pipe in the attic. This was the line to the swamp cooler. I headed back to the church to see if I could borrow Bill's wet/dry vacuum and picked it up at his home. We cleaned things up and put a blower on the carpet.
Steve and I headed to check out what was happening with the car. It was discovered that the there was something going on with the timing. Possibly the belt or chain. We had to rent a tow dolly to get it home. We rented one from UHAUL.
The car is now home. Tina and I head off to Home Depot to get a cap to cap off the copper pipe. Home Depot didn't have any the size I needed so we bought a coupler to cap it with. We got home, I changed clothes and headed under the house. I cut the line and discovered the coupler was the wrong size. I headed back to HD to discover they were closed. The perfect ending to crappy day.
There is nothing I can do until morning. Home Depot opens at 7:00 Am. Hopefully tomorrow will be a tad bit better.

Current weather-It has been cold. 25 degrees at night. This is the reason for the broken pipe. It has been about 55-60 degrees during the day.

-Norm

No comments:

The blog of Norm (and family). loving God, loving my family, loving people, living my life so that God smiles. making a great cup of coffee. enjoying time with my family. being the Church.