Sunday, February 26, 2006

Elvis Has Left The Building.......................

I work in a workshop for people with developmental disabilities. When a client starts or leaves our program there is paper work that needs to be completed. This was the case this week. Last week I had a few clients transfer to other programs or move out of the area. All week I found myself putting off doing this paperwork. On Friday afternoon I figured out why.
One of the people who left the area was a gentleman who loved to impersonate Elvis. He would frequently bring his costume to work or bring it for special occasions. He had been in our program for about 15 years. I must say I am going to miss "Elvis". I think I am grieving his leaving. I really enjoyed him and his playing Elvis. It has not been the same place since. I did finally finish the needed paperwork late in the day on Friday.
On Friday we also had the opportunity to recognize some heroes. You see "Elvis"'s care provider is retiring after over 25 years. This is one reason "Elvis" moved away. Everyone signed a Certificate of Appreciation and I delivered it to them on my way home. Tomorrow we will make a similiar presentation to another care provider who has also retired. We will be doing this with everyone present. It should be a pretty emotional time. Lots of hugs, smiles and tears.

-Norm

Weather today: It began sprinkling about 1:30 PM and has been raining steady since then. 50 degrees was the high today.

1 comment:

Deputy Dave said...

Great Blog Norm. Keep up the good. We need more good men in this world.
Keep the faith!
Dave

...32 degs and sunny

The blog of Norm (and family). loving God, loving my family, loving people, living my life so that God smiles. making a great cup of coffee. enjoying time with my family. being the Church.