Thursday, September 27, 2007

Driving Down Memory Lane

Driving around Knoxville (and across the United States for that matter) has given me alot of time to think. The other day I was reminded of a client whom I use to work with. His name was Sam. I really liked Sam. He had a gentle spirit and frequently teared up when he laughed. Sam was one of the first people with a disability I had frequent contact with. He really liked riding his bike, mowing the lawn and listening to his scanner. Sam lived with his mother who was elderly and as time went on her health deteriorated. They were very close.
One week we decided that after work on Friday our group would take a bike ride and then go out to a local mexican restaurant for dinner. At the time I was driving a little Ford Festiva. I put a bike rack on the front and one on the back to haul our bicycles. We were all packed in the car. It must have looked halarious to someone not knowing what was going on. We all had a great time!
I also remember Sam's reaction when I told him Tina and I were going to be parents. A big smile came on his face and sometime later he arrived with a gift.
One day we got the call that Sam's mom had passed away. Our worlds changed forever on that very sad day. Sam bestowed on me one of the greatest honors of my life. He asked if I would be a pallbearer at his mother's funeral. As part of his mom's request, a neighbor became his care provider and they eventually moved away. Every once in a while he would call me and then we lost contact. He had an impact on me and I am grateful for his friendship. Maybe someday we will see each other again. I'd like that!

Weather today: 85 degrees and it was suppose to thunderstorm, but just a few spinkles this afternoon. The rest of the week looks clear and low to mid 80's.

-Norm

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's late, can't sleep, so I finally got around to some catch up reading. Enjoyed your posts. Glad to see things going well.

Buck

Unknown said...

Ok, what the heck is up with me being called "Cecilia?"

The blog of Norm (and family). loving God, loving my family, loving people, living my life so that God smiles. making a great cup of coffee. enjoying time with my family. being the Church.