Thursday, March 16, 2006

MISSION:Excellent Customer Service

I like to receive excellent customer service. In my business dealings from day to day, I try to comments about the service I receive. Good as well as not so good. Following the experience I mention below, I had two excellent experiences. I commented to those businesses about their service as well.

Here is my story.

The other day I entered a local bank. I am not a customer of this bank, but in the past I had been a signer on a Client Fund account for work. We frequently went to this branch to make deposits. The following is a letter I wrote to the Manager following my visit. I have not included the name of the bank for personal reasons.



March 15, 2006

Mr. Manager,

Yesterday I entered your bank from the back parking lot and was shocked at what I saw. There was much remodeling being done and the smell of paint filled the air. As I approached the teller windows I was taken aback by what stood ahead of me. Counter to ceiling was what appeared to be bulletproof glass. I could not believe this bank had purposely placed a barrier between a customer service representative and me, the customer. I had to speak louder than normal to the teller and with no confidentiality whatsoever. When I asked the teller why these were placed here she replied “if you had been robbed as many times as we have…..” Nearly in the same breath I was asked if I would like to open an account so that I may be able to make my payment automatically? My next thought was “Why? It might just get stolen anyway”!

I do not have an account with (inserted bank name here) but did enter your bank to pay my mortgage. Why would I open an account at a place that doesn’t trust me even before I walk through the door? With her words your teller asked for my business, but the environment screamed of distrust.

The question I must ask: Don’t you trust your customers? My impression from the glass barrier is “no” and “the less human contact-the better”. I feel sorry about the robbery and even more that there are people who view this as a way to make ends meet.

There are other ways of handling this situation. Place a barrier between the robber and the money/safe. Not between the customer and the teller/customer service. It appears you are focusing on the one bad customer instead of the hundreds of good and honest people that walk through your doors each week. This letter speaking up could represent the hundreds that don’t, but take their business elsewhere-where we/they are trusted.

Coincidently, when I called your branch to get the name of the branch manager my call was picked up automatically. I was (automatically) placed on hold for 10 minutes with no answer. I had to call back a second time to actually speak to someone.

I recently read a book regarding developing excellent customer service practices. I highly recommend “Raving Fans” by Ken Blanchard and Sheldon Bowles. The publisher is William Morrow and Company. It is a quick read and very insightful. I would encourage you to get a copy.

If you would like to discuss this situation further, please feel free to contact me. I may be reached at work (000) 000-0000; home (000) 000-0000.

Sincerely,
Norm



I have yet to hear from anyone at this bank. Could this be yet another barrier?

Weather today: Windy, rainy, and chains are required on all vehicles 50 miles up the road.

No comments:

The blog of Norm (and family). loving God, loving my family, loving people, living my life so that God smiles. making a great cup of coffee. enjoying time with my family. being the Church.