Saturday, February 09, 2008

La Forza del Destino

Last night was to be our Valentine Day outing. It turned out to be a family event. One of the reasons I was attracted to Knoxville was, for being a town by mountains, it offers a lot of cultural events. Last night we attended Verdi's (in english) Force of Destiny Opera at the Tennessee theater. The tickets are less than what I paid for Hannah Montana in 3D (yes, we saw it) and was just fathoms better.


The Tennessee theater is one of the most slendid buildings I have ever been in; just a gorgeously restored theater. The people were as interesting as the building itself. You had the men in tuxedos, women in full length gowns, the business dressed and even the UT students in the orange (go vols!) hoodies and jeans.

The full orchestra was spot on and the cast was amazing. One of the main characters happens to be the owner of the store where I work. He is a vocal teacher at UT and offered us to go backstage. I love opera among other genres of music, but opera is what I would love to sing. I look forward to seeing Pucini's Tosca (one of my favs) in the spring at the Tennessee theater. Of couse Merle Haggard will also be performing there as well. Hey, it is the south!
-Tina

1 comment:

M. Fearghail said...

Hey, welcome to the South, my friend! Haven't been inside the Tennessee Theater in years. Makes me want to go again. I like that high brow stuff at times. Hey, my wife got me to the Bolshoi in Moscow, once.

We are sophisticated in the South. We like Country AND Western music! :-)

Glad I found you on the web!

The blog of Norm (and family). loving God, loving my family, loving people, living my life so that God smiles. making a great cup of coffee. enjoying time with my family. being the Church.